Philosophy

HEART is about uplifting authors and their hard work. Only stories the staff have read rating three hearts or higher will appear on this site. If a story does not make the grade then it will not appear on the site. It is HEART’s belief that no review is better than a bad one. With that being said, HEART stands behind the STORIES (stories only, not the publisher or any affiliates) posted on its review site and believes in the writing abilities of the author. HEART inspires to celebrate the art of writing, great story telling and the authors who write them.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Jesse’s Brother by Wendy Ely

Blurb:
One woman, two men: a single summer to choose between them.

Sacrificing a summer to fix her relationship with her mother and find out what’s troubling her father isn’t so bad...right? Wrong. Or so Samantha learns upon her return to Portland.

As if family drama wasn’t bad enough, first comes Noah. Then comes Jesse. Samantha is torn between the way her heart skips a beat each time Noah looks at her, and the way Jesse’s touch make her yearn for more.

Content Warning: This title contains sex, family drama and a tough choice.

Review:

A sweet and well written story. Jesse’s Brother flows very well and, believe me, after a lot of stories I’ve read lately, this is important to keep a reader interested.

However, I did have a few disappointments with this story. I wish Ms. Ely would have expanded on the problems between the brothers. As I finished the story, I wasn’t completely satisfied with the “whys” of the feud between them. I felt like some important aspects were left out. The other disappointment I had was the emotional depth. I wanted Ms. Ely to go deeper and, yes, make me cry. As it was, there were no tears. Mind you, that of course is my personal preference, being made to cry. Being so caught up in the outcome the black moment crushes your heart and leaves you deeply affected until you have to get your ah moment to make everything better.

On the up side, I’ve learned I would rather read a story with less emotional depth and better writing skills than more emotions and poorly written. Ms. Ely’s writing was top notch, not forcing me to edit it as I read.

A note to the author: I’ll be looking for more depth in your next story. Meaning, yes, I would read another story from this author.


I give this story four hearts. Reviewed by
Jasmine
Buy Link

No comments:

Post a Comment