Philosophy

HEART is about uplifting authors and their hard work. Only stories the staff have read rating three hearts or higher will appear on this site. If a story does not make the grade then it will not appear on the site. It is HEART’s belief that no review is better than a bad one. With that being said, HEART stands behind the STORIES (stories only, not the publisher or any affiliates) posted on its review site and believes in the writing abilities of the author. HEART inspires to celebrate the art of writing, great story telling and the authors who write them.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dreams of the Past by Stephanie Barmann

Blurb:


Some Dreams are Meant to Come True.


Men don’t rate highly on busy Janelle’s list of priorities, especially not when they have a habit of cheating on her. The last thing she expects is to fall in love with Jake, a man she’s met online.


Jake, a military man, can't get Janelle out of his head. She haunts his dreams at night, and now she’s agreed to meet him in real life.


From the moment they set eyes on each other, they knew it was meant to be. Will history repeat itself or will Janelle and Jake find their happy ending?


My Review:


This was an interesting read for me. I enjoyed the story and plot. I did have some issues with it, however. The pacing seemed a bit off at the beginning while Ms. Barmann is switching back and forth from the present to a year ago. But once the story stays in the present the pacing is worked out.


Having a military background, I sympathized with Jake more than Janelle. I’ve been the military member, and I’ve been the spouse left behind waiting for the military member to come home. I felt that Jake had done nothing so terrible as to have Janelle react the way she did to him. I thought she wasn’t willing to see Jake’s side of things after everything he’d been through. Coming home from war is a hard adjustment. I also know it’s hard on the one left behind. And after everything Jake went through, I’m not sure I bought his reaction to the surprise coming home party. This loud shock could have caused Jake to go into a flashback. I thought it was selfish on Janelle’s part even though she thought it was a wonderful gift. The fact that she doesn’t put herself in his shoes and think her actions through is what bothered me.


While I didn’t connect with Janelle, I did connect with Jake and the story. I enjoyed the little bit of paranormal the dream segments added. They were intriguing.





I give this story four hearts. Reviewed by




Jasmine






Buy Link

No comments:

Post a Comment